NICST offers the following programs, all dedicated to training highly-skilled dogs and making a greater impact in our communities:
- Dogs4Diabetics: For our diabetic community, we continue to create life-saving partnerships with service dogs and with service buddy dogs.
- First Response K9: For those who have dedicated their lives to serving us in crisis and emergency, we offer life-empowering partnerships with service dogs and service buddy dogs.
- Detection Dogs: NICST continues to innovate with highly trained and qualified detection dogs for scent discrimination work for urgent needs like, cancer detection, and other special projects.
- Support Communities: Our support groups include “TypeYOU,” “TypeTEEN,” and “Pumps & Sensors” and are a safe place to share and unite.
Service Buddy Dogs & Service Dogs
What is the difference between our Service Buddy Dogs and our Service Dogs?
All of our programs offer service dogs (that have public access rights) and service buddy dogs (no public access rights).
Here is what you need to know:
- Industry-leading ethics and standards: All our dogs are trained to perform their designated skills according to rigorous standards: at least an 80% accuracy rate in every stage of training.
- It is the little things: We accept dogs into our program with every intention of them becoming Service Dogs, who can accompany their handler in most places in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities laws and regulations. Sometimes, in the course of our training, we notice behaviors that will not be compatible with the ADA laws. and standards, so these dogs make a career change to become Buddy Dogs.
- Saving lives: Buddy Dogs are not allowed access into public places where dogs are not normally allowed, but they may be trained to alert to low or high blood sugars and perform tasks in your home, like our service dogs. Buddy Dogs are essential home companions who can comfort you by applying deep pressure therapy or go for help in case of emergencies.
- Our clients: Clients training with our Service and Buddy Dogs are engaged! They are motivated to work with the dog, provide it a safe and loving home, and sustain this life-saving partnership.
- You are essential to the process: Every member of our family plays an essential role in the success of our service and buddy dogs – it takes a village to ensure our dogs are saving lives for all those that turn to NICST for support. Thank you for the role you play!