Dogs4Diabetics (D4D) was founded in October 2004, and to this day, we are continually improving the science and processes that launched our journey. D4D is proud to be the first service dog provider for insulin-dependent diabetics accredited by Assistance Dogs International. Our first life-saving partnership, Mark and Armstrong, is also recognized in the Guinness Book of World Records as the first scientifically-trained alert team for diabetics.
LEADING THE WAY
As the first and a leader in developing Medical-Alert Service Dogs, D4D maintains ethical and industry-leading standards for our innovative scent-trained dogs, who can detect changes in blood sugar 20-30 minutes before the newest technology. To truly serve our community, D4D trains dogs, unites them with clients, and supports these teams for life, at no cost.
LIVING BEYOND DIABETES
While we join the diabetic community in hoping for a cure, D4D’s mission is to support diabetics and their families by empowering them to thrive today.
- Please be sure you are familiar with the Medical-Alert Service Dog program requirements.
- Watch the PAWS video.
- After you have watched the PAWS video take the quiz.
- An application will be emailed to you upon successful completion of the quiz.
D4D Client Training
D4D has placed over 170 teams, and our program works best when the client is proactively managing their diabetes and insulin-therapy.
D4D Dog Training
To prepare our dogs to save lives, D4D has created a comprehensive training program based on our industry-leading standards.
100% of insulin-dependent diabetics have hypoglycemic episodes.
- Insulin therapy triples the risk of hypoglycemia.
- 55% of hypoglycemia episodes occur at night with most diabetics not waking up to the episode.
- 2 to 4% of deaths in insulin-dependent diabetics are due to hypoglycemia.